By Suleman Ahmad Tudu
The Northern States Governors’ Forum of the federal Republic of Nigeria has donated the sum of 180 million Naira to the victims of the military’s mistaken airstrike of Tudun Biri in Igabi local government area of Kaduna state.
The Chairman of the forum and Governor of Gombe state, Muhammad Inuwa Yahaya announced the donation in a communique issued after their meeting in Kaduna on Friday.
The Northern governors, while resolving to work in synergy to ensure security of the region by strengthening local law enforcement, have also vowed to ensure thorough investigation of the incident.
Read the full text of the communique below:
COMMUNIQUE OF THE MEETING OF THE NORTHERN STATES GOVERNORS’ FORUM HELD ON FRIDAY, 15TH DECEMBER, 2023 AT THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, SIR KASHIM IBRAHIM HOUSE, KADUNA
1. The Northern States Governors’ Forum under the leadership of the new
Chairman His Excellency, Muhammad Inuwa Yahaya, CON, held its inaugural meeting today Friday, 15th December, 2023 at the Council Chamber, Sir Kashim Ibrahim House, Kaduna.
2. The Forum commiserated with the Government and people of Kaduna State over the unfortunate bombing incident at the Tudun Biri Community of Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State during which some members of the community lost their lives and properties while others who sustained various degrees of injuries are currently receiving treatment in various Hospitals. The Forum prayed for the repose of the souls of those who lost their lives and speedy recovery of the injured. The Forum prayed for God to grant the families of the deceased the fortitude to bear the loss and appreciated the Kaduna State and Federal Governments for the way and manner they handled the unfortunate incidence so far.
3. The Forum resolved to work collectively to ensure that the tragic incidence is thoroughly investigated with a view to compensating victims and taking corrective measures to prevent future occurrence.
4. The Forum resolved to vigorously pursue the collective interest of the North in areas of enhanced security, peaceful coexistence, economic development, youth employment, drug abuse and revitalisation of education at all levels.
5. The Forum commended the Federal Government for the renewed vigour in the fight against insecurity, menace of kidnaping, banditry, communal clashes and terrorism, bedeviling the region. The Forum resolved to stand united in its commitment to addressing those challenges through enhanced collaboration with security agencies, strengthening local law enforcement, community engagement, adoption of modern technology and administrative reforms, as well as addressing the root causes of insecurity such as poverty, unemployment and deepening social in-equality.
6. The Forum also resolved to address the environmental challenges affecting Northern Nigeria which is threatening rural livelihood, pushing farmers into conflict with herders and adding to the general level of poverty and insecurity.
7. The Forum further resolved to collectively fastrack regional integration through investment in infrastructure, human capital development, trade, commerce, agriculture, environment, digital economy and cultural exchanges.
8. The Forum received briefing on the activities of the New Nigerian Development Company (NNDC) by the Group Managing Director and accordingly constituted a committee to review the Report of the earlier committee on NNDC operations with a view to repositioning the Company for greater productivity and profitability.
9. The Forum collectively resolved to support the Kaduna State Government and victims of the unfortunate incidence of bombing at Tudun Biri Community, Igabi Local Government Area by donating the sum of One Hundred and Eighty Million Naira (N180,000,000.00) only to the victims.
10. The next meeting of the Forum would be held on 2nd March, 2024.
HIS EXCELLENCY, MUHAMMADU INUWA YAHAYA, CON EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR OF GOMBE STATE /
CHAIRMAN, NORTHERN STATES GOVERNORS’ FORUM